Greenpoint, October, 2015

Monday, August 13, 2012

Willys-Wagen on Victory Day

Tan Avenger
Add caption
It's Victory Day* in Rhode Island and the oldtimers are out. Cars that is! Here are two beauties. The first is a Willys four-wheel-drive, I'd guess from the 40s. Willys made the iconic US Army jeeps during WWII. It would make a great beachwagon. You can have it for less than $5000.

The yellow VW microbus below  leapfrogged me all the way back from Mystic. I saw it first outside a biker bar on Rte 1 in Stonington. Then, after I stopped for lunch at a diner (can't recommend the chowder), I passed it at a gas station near the Pawcatuck line. Sure enough, as I'm coming out of McQuade's market in Westerly I see it parked at the EZ Liquor Store across the way.

Very Mellow Yellow
This baby has been lovingly restored and maintained. Check out the pop-up windshields in front. I think it's a bit tricked out; for example, I doubt the bumpers were originally painted and I'm not sure about the running board, but what a thing of beauty.

This will be the last post for a week or so as your correspondent heads north for some R&R. Then it's back to the BQE big time baby!

(*Victory Day, commemorating the end of the war in the Pacific in 1945, is observed as a state holiday only by Rhode Island and Hawaii. Also known as "VJ Day").


No comments:

Post a Comment