Greenpoint, October, 2015

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Safety First or Who's on First?

Always a bit disconcerting to be looking down the business end of an official vehicle when you are traveling in its direction. I encountered these two guys being towed on the Verrazano Narrows Bridge headed east.  In the photo below, if you look closely, you can see both are emblazoned with the words "Public Safety" on their hoods. (You can also see a New York Post on the dashboard of the wagon, which may or may not have something to do with its current condition.)
Never Safer
Beloved CUNY
Not having looked closely enough myself to see what the shield on the passenger side door revealed, I poked about on-line and found lots of shields from Public Safety departments, mostly of cities and universities (like the one from CUNY at right). They seem to favor the same classic acorn design as Police departments. In my googling, I came up across the Emblem Authority (they design and make them), and, I believe, my favorite PD shield of all time, from Cooperstown, NY. I don't know if I feel safer seeing that, but I do feel friendlier.
Arff, Arff

Of course, the official logo of Cooperstown honors Major-General Abner Doubleday and the Baseball Hall of Fame. And it's pretty cool, too. I'd like to have hubcaps with this design.
"It's on to Pittsfield, men."

No comments:

Post a Comment