Greenpoint, October, 2015

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Ginger Tale

(Courtesy graphic-design.tjs-labs.com)
There's a billboard on the BQE for Canada Dry Ginger Ale (no art so you'll just have to take my word for it) that claims this is the "Ginger Ale Season." By the looks of this advertising poster from 1938, it's a claim they've been making for a long time.

In the cafe car of an Amtrak train, just before Thanksgiving. I asked the employee behind the counter for a ginger ale.
"Sold out."
I eyed the stack of cans on the counter. "I guess you're sold out of the cold ones."
He followed my gaze. "Those are reserved for business class."
Silence.
"That's just the way it is. I don't make the rules."
I ordered a Heineken instead, thinking, No brother, you sure don't. But I kept it to myself as I headed back to the "Quiet Car."

No comments:

Post a Comment