Greenpoint, October, 2015

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

What Kind of Monster Are You?

Back in November 1994, a young(er) Newt Gingrich was orchestrating "The Contract With (On) America" and leading the Republicans to a massive midterm takeover of Congress. Less than a month later, in a divey bowling alley-cum-music venue in Chicago, Slant 6 were telling our future (in 1 min. 48 secs.):
Your fangs are beginning to show now
I think I've really got to go now
Don't look at me that way
I'm really scared because...
What kind of monster are you?


What kind of monster is Newt? Leave out the personal stuff, and you've still got a racist (and race-baiting), homophobe, huckster, lobbying, lying sack of sugar--beet or cane, your choice. A sort of cross of Melville's Confidence Man, Shakespeare's Iago and Mr. Potter from It's a Wonderful Life. Please, Newt, show us how to become a "thrifty working class"!
(This post requested by My Fair Isle.)

No comments:

Post a Comment