Greenpoint, October, 2015

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Billions Severed?

A week or so ago, I was coming back from Staten Island on the BQE, approaching the Kosciuszko Bridge, when I sensed something was wrong. Then it hit me, the McDonalds sign was not lit up. And I realized that those iconic (and ironic?) Golden Arches serve as a kind of beacon in the storm of traffic, letting drivers know that they are getting close to the bridge crossing they so desire. Well, the sign is back on. Whoever failed to turn on the switch is probably fired and down on Wall Street, and I have my beacon back.

It has probably been 20 years since I had my last burger at McDonalds. Believe me, I had plenty in my day, especially on my dinner break at Vernon Drug or at the end of a night out with high school friends. I used to pride myself on how I could drive the winding road back from Mystic with an open cup of McDonalds coffee in one hand and not spill a scalding drop.

And McDonalds is still a part of my life. How many times have I used one of their bathrooms? How many desperation iced coffees have I bought over the years? And so, with apologies to William Blake, here's to McDonalds:

Tyger, tyger burning bright
In the forest of the night
What immortal hand or eye
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?


No comments:

Post a Comment