Greenpoint, October, 2015

Sunday, November 4, 2012

Somewhat Upset Max

Yesterday, I took a trip to the Central Library in Jamaica. Everything worked. The F was running local, but it often does on weekends, and I was able to stop off at Ben's Best in Rego Park for a pastrami sandwich and Cel-Ray soda. The library was open (I'd checked on the web since branches in Broad Channel and the Rockaways are closed indefinitely). I only had to wait a few minutes for my book to come up from the stacks (the library is undergoing heavy renovation). Buses coursed in and out of the Jamaica station across from the library (above).

Outside the library, I saw a man with empty plastic gas containers upset because he couldn't find an open station. On the way back to the subway, I walked across the parking lot of a gas station on Hillside Avenue with its pumps wrapped in yellow tape. The reports of fights in gas lines are already coming out. It will be sad if the massive effort to get the city and region on its feet again becomes a real life parody of Mad Max.

No comments:

Post a Comment