Greenpoint, October, 2015

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Prince Valiant on the BQE

Even in the rain I recognized it from its rear end long before I could glimpse the rest of the car. It had to be a Valiant. Bigger and a bit older than the two my family owned in the seventies, but with that same boxiness (boxticity?). They were never my favorites and couldn't hold a candle, as far as driving went, to our '72 Demon (basically, Dodge's Duster knock-off) even though they had the same legendary "slant-6" engine--inspiration for the nineties' DC punk/riot grrrl band Slant 6.

When did the boring, old Valiant cross the threshold to hipster-cool? My father once said he should have bought two Demons instead of one, put the other in the garage, and bring it out ??? years later. Wish he had.

2 comments:

  1. For myself, I prefer the Dart. Never see one of those, sadly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, it might have been a Dart. It was raining pretty hard. Check out this site for more about the Plymouth - Dodge contretemps. Warning: It's maintained by Valiant partisans: http://www.valiant.org/dart/index.html

    ReplyDelete