Greenpoint, October, 2015

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Stand By


My favorite corner of Penn Station is the one near the Eighth Avenue and 31st Street entrance with the arrival and departure consoles. Sometimes you can get a jump on the track announcement by watching for your train number's arrival track and then smoothly sidling over. The only problem is you won't know whether they'll let you down the east or west escalators.

I know this magnificent station will be replaced someday, possibly refitting the U.S. Post Office building across the street as the entrance and concourse. I just hope that when it is some resourceful preservationist has the presence of mind to make sure these consoles don't get tossed out like old Space Invaders games, which they somewhat resemble. I spent some of the best years of my life watching them.

No comments:

Post a Comment