Greenpoint, October, 2015

Sunday, August 11, 2013

Sticker Shock #3 (Delight)

I first saw this bumpersticker almost 20 years ago in the Hay Library at Brown University, in Providence, R.I. In those days I would spend some lunch hours looking up broadsides and limited editions of books by Paul Blackburn, Robert Creeley, and other poets. When I saw a Creeley item titled "I Saw Delight," and labeled as a bumpersticker!, I had to see it. And now you can too:
Robert Creeley, "I Saw Delight" (An Alternative Press Bumper Sticker)
In the design by Ann Mikolowski, the outline of the lightbulb is created by the text "Homage to Hank Williams" repeated three times. I didn't see another until this summer when I found two (one signed by RC) in the Alternative Press archives in the Berg Collection of the New York Public Library. I wasn't able to photograph either of those; I do have permission from Catherine Halley of the Poetry Foundation to use a photo from her visit to Ken Mikolowski in Ann Arbor. For a PF audio story about the Alternative Press, which includes a phone interview with Ken, go here.

No comments:

Post a Comment