Greenpoint, October, 2015

Saturday, September 13, 2014

Moral Merger

Some kind of work is going on the BQE West under the Brooklyn Heights Promenade. It necessitates a lane closure at precisely the point the highway goes from three lanes to two at the Cadman Plaza exit. In other words, it's down to one. There's an announcement on one of those overhead signs a mile or so earlier but it doesn't say which lane is closed (right or left).

The first day I got stuck in it, I was in the far left lane--my usual protocol. By the time I got close enough to see the DOT truck with the flashing arrow pointing right, there was nothing I could do. I merged right at the last possible moment. (Thanks, brother.)

The next time, knowing it was the left lane that would be closed, I did the right thing. I got into the right lane much earlier. And I inched forward behind a sixteen wheeler while car after car passed me on the left.

The next next time, knowing what I knew, what did I do? Reader, I believe the photos speak for themselves.


Maybe it's just a traffic study. Ethics 101?

No comments:

Post a Comment